Friday, June 30, 2017

Project 29 Quilting the baby quilt OMG June



And I did it .... I participated in Elm Street Quilts One Monthly Goal (OMG) for June. I had decided that my goal for this month was to do all the quilting for the baby quilt that is to be a present. Project 21 describes how I decided to participate. Looking at what other quilters make is so inspiring, especially to a newbie as me.

Goal was to quilt the blanket: use my new walking foot and try the embroidery foot for free style quilting.

Conclusion: I love my new walking foot, it really makes quilting easier. Also I did block by block to see if this would give a nicer result. It did. As for the FQS it is still rather difficult to do on a whole quilt, I tried and did not succeed very well for two reasons: I still have a hard time juggling all that material in my sewing machine (I so need a bigger arm machine - out of reach) and I need a quilting support for my machine (not available as my machine is very old). So I did reach my goals albeit with a different result as I originally visualized. Some of the sewing is a bit wobbly. As I was juggling and turning and sighing I thought: it does not matter that some of the lines are wobbly, after all I am poring a lot of love in this baby blanket

Lessons learned: quilt by blog, turn the fabric sometimes in a different direction than what I automatically do as sometimes turning clock-wise or against the clock can make a big difference in handling all that fabric.

Follow up: try to make a quilt table myself - well design and draw and then ask my DHB to make it for me.

Next steps: do the binding - but that is for next month.

June 30

1 comment:

  1. Your quilt looks lovely. I enjoy using my walking foot too. Thanks for linking up with Elm Street Quilts One Monthly Goal and congrats on your finish.

    ReplyDelete