Monday, September 26, 2022

Rise above quilt top

The past two weeks decided to finish the last 12 blocks of the quilt. The pattern is set up as a 10-month programme and I had two months left from the block making. I started cutting and sewing and some more cutting and sewing ..... this weekend we had a lot of rain, so instead of going for a walk ended up finishing the assembly of all 64 blocks. I cut all blocks to the same size, a bit more work, and so worth the effort as the blocks nicely fit together. 

In summer I took a picture with the last 12 blocks missing and this is when I realized how huge this top is. The measures are in inches, clearly I did not pay attention when I bought the pattern ... I just really liked it.

All-in-all I managed to get the 10 months done in 5 months, well 4 cause in August did not make any blocks (1+2 in May, 3-5 in June, 6+7 in July, 8+9 in September - the last 12 blocks and assembly).


I really like the end result, if only this quilt would be a bit smaller. So now am contemplating to finish this quilt and make a friend the lucky recipient of this piece of love. And re-make the quilt using either same or different colours downsizing the total. I figured if I reduce by 2/3 this would be feasible. I might have to change from inches to cm as that might be easier to calculate; an example is 3 7/8 inches is one of the measures used a lot in this quilt and in cm 2/3 would be 6.56 cm. Although after doing a search online, 2/3 of 3 7/8 is 2.58 inches and with a precise ruler - cutting would be possible. 

I took a picture while my kids held the quilt hanging from our balcony. The star pops out well.



No comments:

Post a Comment