Thursday, June 25, 2020

Confinement quilt backing


My second goal for OMG June was to finish the backing of my confinement quilt. Originally I was going to order some nice wide-backing ... however with the confinement going on, supplies were low everywhere and the ones I liked were not available. (Note to self to purchase some wide backing fabric up front to add to stash). In the end I ordered some Kona fabric in a matching purple colour on-line in France. I had some left overs from the rail fence blocks and I made six more rail fence blocks with black corners. The black fabric being the same as the one in the top. With left overs I made a colourful border around the purple top and finished off with a black border. I had to be creative as realized I had not ordered enough purple fabric.

When done I rinsed the backing as was full of wool from my carpet ... I definitely need a design wall dedicated to my quilts, only I have no wall I can dedicate to that. Rinsing the backing was not the best idea I had; the fabric frayed and I had to cut off all the little loose ends as the quilt was supposed to go to a long-arm quilter ... oh well .. lesson learned. I cut loose threads, checked all the seams and gave it a good press.

At first I was not happy with the backing and almost almost ended up looking online ... I took a picture and then realized that the backing wasn't that bad at all. Maybe time to be less critical of my creations .....


Both the top and backing are on their way to the long-arm quilter Rachel Hauser of Stitched in Color

Linking up with Patty at Elm Street Quilts for my July OMG.

My goal this month included two projects and happy to say that have managed to achieve both the table topper and the confinement backing.

2 comments:

  1. Congratulations on reaching your goals! I love this purple quilt, lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very nice. Thanks for linking up with Elm Street Quilts One Monthly Goal and congrats on your finish.

    ReplyDelete