Monday, October 29, 2018

Acorns table runner


Autumn is here, it has arrived in all its glory with lovely colours and since a few days with rain and grey skies. So creative time it was this weekend. A few weeks ago I bought this cute little box adorned with acorns that held a kit for an acorn table runner, designed by Lori Holt. The pictures looked great so I went ahead and purchased the kit from The Fat Quarter shop. Of course there were some other items in my basket, shipping to Europe is quite expensive so better make the most of a shipment. When the box arrived I was excited. It all looked so cute. I immediately set out making the top, i.e. cutting the fabric according to the instructions ...... And then disappointment set in. The fat quarter of cute fabric was either not selected well or a mistake was made, or someone somewhere did not do a good job in ensuring all the right fabric should be in the kit. Out of the 42 squares, two could not be used as they were the same as the background fabric, and two were too light and therefore not providing enough contrast. I placed a review on the FQS website, as it said that someone would contact me to solve any issue. Well my review got placed and no one contacted me to offer sending some new squares in an envelop. And of course as shipping is expensive, I was not going to order 50 cm of yarn, where I would only need two fat squares. I assume, as this was not one of #FQS products, they did not feel responsible. A good thing I had ordered another fat square of Riley Black Designs fabric and used some of that to make up for the squares I could not use.


The pattern is cute, and I enjoyed making the quilt. The designer did a great job. I had to get used to working all these little pieces, it was good practice in precision cutting and sewing. Once the top was done, October had arrived and my aim was to finalize the quilt as my One Monthly Goal for October organized by Patty at Elm Street Quilts. By making small quilts I was hoping to get over my "fear" of free motion quilting. It is working, as I progressed I became more fluent in drawing with my sewing machine. One corner is different as I was doing diagonal lines and then did not like these. As it is only a small part I left these and became more adventurous.


The end result is a colourful table runner, 4 blocks smaller as our coffee table is not that long. Not sure yet what to do with the other 4 blocks, most likely make a square table runner and place it on the kitchen table.

Linking up with FAL 2018, project 4 of my list, 1 out of 10 done.

7 comments:

  1. Really pretty quilt and fabrics. The other four blocks would make a nice square runner.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you and a square runner it will be. And then maybe some place mats.

      Delete
  2. I really love this! Thanks for linking up to Elm Street Quilts One Monthly Goal and congrats on your finish!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, it really brightens up my living room.

      Delete
  3. Your runner is really cute! I love the bright colors.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, the bright colors lighten up my living room and even the kids keep the coffee table clutter free.

      Delete
  4. That is a perfect fall runner! On behalf of the FAL crew, thank you for linking up!

    ReplyDelete