Tuesday, October 3, 2017

Project 44 Mini quilt


I was asked to make a mini quilt. Of course I said yes. This mini quilt encompasses many "firsts". The first time someone asked me to make a small quilt, making a mini quilt and free-motion quilting.

It was quite a challenging project ... I designed the quilt based on a picture I saw on the internet .... then calculated all the different sizes. Cutting and piecing was relatively easy .... well the first try-out was ugly .... with the second version I improved my sewing and the end result was not too bad. The mini quilt turned out a little bit bigger than I thought it would, but that was because my half-square triangles came out a little bit bigger.

How to continue ... I asked Patty from Elm Street Quilts who kindly gave me good advice. Thereafter the next big challenge was the FMQ ... a mini quilt is indeed the best way to try this out and gain confidence. After all if I wasn't going to jump now and do more than straight lines, I was never going to do so. Thank you Patty for the little push I needed.

The end result is a very nice mini quilt. Its size is 19 by 19 inches. Still small enough to be framed, and big enough to place on a table. I can treasure it for a few weeks as I will gift the quilt in November.

The mini quilt and my BSB block 8 were done in time for my September objective for One Monthly Goal


30 September

No comments:

Post a Comment