Monday, October 31, 2022

Feathers quilt and other finishes

This month made quite some progress. Maybe because the evenings are colder so less likely to spend hours outside. Also we had quite some rain - quilting and rain are best friends.

1) Feathers quilt

Earlier this year I participated in the Feather sew along organized by Alison Glass. Her team had set up a community board and we had online sessions. I really enjoyed the process and we actually got to meet Alison who participated in the different sessions, explaining the pattern, and cutting, paper piecing, .... this was the first time I actually met the designer of fabric I was using.


The top was done within the SAL and I earned the finisher's pin and a label. 

Before quilting the layers I wanted to be sure that what I was going to do would work and gave this process quit some time. I knew I wanted to have lines in the grey areas, other than that ......????

In October, decided to give this a go. I used grey thread - charcoal for the top and light grey for the backside. And indeed this was the effect I was looking for. 

Next step - what to do with the coloured areas ..... definitely not grey as that would stand out too much in the coloured areas. While my brain was processing what to do, I worked on my hand piecing project.

Light-bulb moment - what if I used variegated thread in the colours of the fabric. Perfect solution, the thread use (Mettler silk finish) is perfect and blends in well. Plus it gives some colour to the grey areas without disturbing the pattern.

2) Slow stitching

Block 2 of the Tula Pink Sunrise quilt is done. I learned a lot from doing the first block - which was my first attempt ever at EPP. The assembly of the block went much easier. For block 1 I had stitched all triangles together before attaching to the center block. For block 2 I worked in groups of triangles. The center carton stayed in place which will help stabilize the block while I work my way through the next 14 blocks plus plus plus ..... For block 3 I aim to learn to make smaller stitches. 

I do like the hand stitching. Let's see how many years this project will take .....

3) Sock knitting

My socks are done, waiting for Christmas to wear, or maybe just waiting for cold weather.

                                        

Next pair of socks maybe try a new pattern ......always a perfect on the go project.


Linking to Patty's OMG October over at Elm Street quilts

1 comment:

  1. Congratulations on your finishes. Your feather quilt is lovely. Did you use a walking foot to quilt it? Please consider linking up to Free Motion Mavericks. Take care.

    ReplyDelete