Monday, September 24, 2018

A girly babyquilt


Every time I say to myself that I need to get moving forward with my existing, non-finished projects, I find another excuse of making something new. Will I never change? Not sure .....

A friend of mine is pregnant and her colleagues are throwing her a baby shower. As this is on another continent, participating in person was not really an option. Making a baby quilt, was of course an option. My colleague had space in her suitcase to take a gift back home, and I had two evenings to get the quilt done. Buying something was out, as by the time we were done with our meetings the shops were closed. Having a stock of baby cotton fabrics at home helps, especially as I am not supposed to buy new fabrics and am to use my stash. Or how do I justify making new projects without finishing the WIPs.

As time was limited, and because I wanted to make something different from the last two baby quilts, I decided to cut 5" squares and lay them randomly, alternating with white fabric. For the back I used this oh so cute pink fabric with birds. For the quilting I made wavy stripes going diagonally across the quilt. The first evening I cut the squares and sew them together. The second evening I did the quilting and the binding. I finished at 12.30 at night. At 11 PM I was debating with myself if I should finish or not ... and then decided to go for finishing. Otherwise I would have to mail the quilt, not knowing if the quilt would arrive in time.

The end result is a cute girly baby quilt.

No comments:

Post a Comment