Saturday, August 25, 2018

OMG August - Baby boy quilt


This summer I wanted to be craftsy - I spent a few days making a baby quilt - actually took two days off to work on it. I always wondered how some of the quilters manage to make so many creative projects ...... and well the answer I assume is ..... concentration, making time in the day (or evening) and just get going. It also means that other things not get done. I am supposed to work on the projects of my to finish list (or do list). The baby quilt was not on my to do list, however it qualified (oh how we always find an excuse) as I used mainly fabric I had bought earlier this year to make a baby quilt in "girly" colours. I went out and bought one yellow and one green/turquoise fabric and for the backing bought green fabric. The quilt thus is less red/pinkish. When taking the pictures of the finished product the yellow jumped in to my face.


For the top, as last time I made quite a number of 5 inch squares, followed by making half square triangles. Once I had 60 hsq's, I laid them out and took a picture. This helps me in seeing if the colours layout is interesting. Once I had sewn the rows together I took another picture. This is useful to detect any mistakes, sure enough there was one. At this stage it is easier to rip some seems.


The rows were sewn in pairs going one way, the pairs were sewn together in the opposite direction to ensure that the end result would be a (more or less) straight quilt. As I progress, I also end up purchasing more useful tools ..... in this case quilter's safety pins .... and I used them to attach all three layers (top, basting and back).


Sewing time. And as part of the learning process ended up using different motives of free motion quilting. My machine did not like me making loops and the thread broke of several times. So annoying. I tried a few different line styles with the FMQ foot and with the walker foot. I enjoyed making the quilt. However as I quilted quite a bit, not leaving much space between the different lines, I ended up using quite a large number of yards of thread.


I am linking up my August One Monthly Goal organized by Patty of Elm Street Quilts.

3 comments:

  1. Your quilt turned out great! Congrats on a finish.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, hope the new mum will also enjoy the quilt

      Delete
  2. This is such a pretty quilt! Thanks for linking up with Elm Street Quilts One Monthly Goal and thanks for linking up!

    ReplyDelete