Thursday, July 12, 2018

144 half square trianges


I am on a little break and as the temperatures were too high to work in the garden, thought that I could sew more for the top of my Cross Roads Quilt. Finishing this is my objective for Patty's One Monthly Goal for July at Elm Street Quilts. Each month am happy that I participate as it pushes me to sign up and finish.

I started with making 144 half square triangles. When I purchased the kit, a roll of paper pre-printed with the right size for sewing and cutting was part of the package. I had seen the rolls before, however using paper ..... one time only ..... kept me skeptical.


I did enjoy making the squares, it did take quite some time though.


Will I buy the paper in the future, not sure. Have not seen it in Europe and with the shipping the costs are quite high. There are quite a few different methods for making the hst, including my special ruler. The best would clearly to improve my skills with the ruler.


Once done and all the paper removed I made strips of 6 hst, measured the length needed for the four strips and started sewing sets of 6 hst strips to make the hst border on my top. When done I wasn't happy with the look. And at that moment I realized that I had forgotten to add first the white border. Argghhhh. Had to remove all the hst strips! Ok, I should also add that maybe because the French team was playing the semi-finals and I was listening with half an ear to what was happening .... clearly my mind was not 100% on my quilting process.

Removing the hst strips took me some time as I did not want to damage the fabric. Once removed, added the white border, measured out the new length of the hst strips and this time my top looked much better. Three more strips of borders were required (yellow, green and red) and while another match was on last night I finished the top completely.

Result: am in love


I just love the colours, although brown and green are not my favourite colours, the combination with the many reds and yellow make it a lovely top.

Today the temperatures are lower, so maybe will end up working a bit in my garden.

1 comment:

  1. Such a beautiful quilt! Thanks for linking up with Elm Street Quilts One Monthly Goal and congrats on your finish.

    ReplyDelete